Monday, March 7, 2011

Romance on the Silver Screen: I Know Where I'm Going!

Today I'm starting the first of a series of posts on romance on the silver screen. I love old movies, and I love romance, so I love nothing better than a good old romantic movie. I'm hoping to draw attention to some great hidden gems or long-ago classic movies that deserve to be remembered. Even better, all the movies I'm going to blog about are available on Netflix, so you can check them out for yourself! 
So without further ado, let me get down to the first week's movie: I Know Where I'm Going! 


                        


This 1945 British classic comes from the duo of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, better known for classics such as Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes. The title refers to Joan Webster, an English city girl who truly believes she knows where she's going: straight to marriage with a wealthy man whom she doesn't love. That's all right by her, however. On her train journey to wed him in the bleak Scottish Hebrides, she dreams not of her lover, but of the factories he owns. But a problem arises when bad weather leaves her stranded just short of the island where they are to be wed. Over the course of several days, while she waits for the weather to clear, she falls in love with a charming but poor naval officer. She then must struggle with a dilemma: :follow through with her lifelong ambitions or follow her heart.
Out of such a simple plot arises a truly legendary movie that has attained cult classic status over time. The beautiful Scottish landscape, witty script, and marvelous acting make the story unforgettable. You can see the first ten minutes here on YouTube, and the film is available on DVD through Netflix.

4 comments:

Ilona Fridl said...

Linda, Great post! I've never heard of this movie, but I love the old classics. Casablanca is still my favorite. I set my first novel, Silver Screen Heroes, in old Hollywood because I've always been interested in the industry.

Linda Morris said...

A romance about old Hollywood--what a great idea! I'll have to check it out.

Alyson Reuben said...

I love classic movies, too, Linda! I own a lot of them on DVDs. I haven't heard of this particular movie before, but it sounds like a good one.

A few of my favorite classic actors/actresses: Deanna Durbin, Maureen O'Hara, Myrna Loy, Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Katherine Hepburn, Ray Milland, Glenn Langan, Robert Cummings, Joel McCrea, Jeanne Crain, and Dorris Day. Really, the list goes on and on.

The 1920's through the 1950's are the best, IMO.

Linda Morris said...

Alyson, you list a lot of my favorites. Cable, Hepburn, and Day are sure to make appearances in future posts in this series. Stay tuned!

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com