Tuesday, March 1, 2011

R. I. P. Jane Russell, the original Montana Belle

Hearing of the passing of Jane Russell earlier this week got me thinking. This old Jane Russell movie has nothing to do with my story, and I didn't even realize it existed until after my Montana Belle published. But I love this poster. They don't make movie stars like they used to, do they? My husband asked me the other day which current actors or actresses I'd meet if I had the chance. I could think of several guys (George Clooney, Colin Firth, etc.), but not a single actress. The younger actresses just sort of seem like cookie cutter starlets to me.
But not Jane Russell. Rest in peace, Jane, the original Montana Belle and "full figured gal!"

                               

4 comments:

Lilly Gayle said...

I hadn't heard she passed. Curvy women used to appreciate their curves. Now, they all want to go on starvatin diets.

P.L. Parker said...

I loved Jane Russell - I remember her in pictures. She was earthy, sexy.

Caroline Clemmons said...

I read that Jane Russell's bra straps were so uncomfortable that her then beau Howard Hughes developed the cross-your-heart bra concept for her. Now all us "full-figured women are glad he came up with that theory.

Linda Morris said...

I heard the same bra story, Caroline! Although in her obituaries, she swore she never wore it. Hughes famously cast her in the movie "The Outlaw" and then spent forever reshooting and editing it. It was so controversial (in part due to Russell's revealing costumes) that it was shelved and released only years after the fact. The controversy made her a star, however.

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com