Friday, April 30, 2010

The agony of defeat (after the thrill of victory)

I've now had an opportunity to learn another hard lesson of the writer's life: Just because you've been published, doesn't mean you no longer have to worry about rejection. After I heard some very encouraging noises from an editor about a novella I submitted, she ultimately rejected it. The rejection came with a lot of kind words and revision suggestions, so there's still a chance she'll buy it after I make changes. But still. She had a lot of comments, many that I think were valid, others less so, and this will all probably make me a better writer in the long run. But that doesn't mean I have to like it, right? I mean, I just want constant acceptance, praise, and reassurance. Is that too much to ask?

Okay, never mind, I can answer that one for myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com